If you experience problems when using MBC4, check out the known problems and their solutions on this page.
If you do not find a solution, please send a full description using the "Contact Us" button above and we will invesigate.
Serious Error warning
Corrupt Preferences file
MBC4 stores your prefernces and settings in a file called "MBC4 Prefs" (or "MBC4.1 Prefs" if you are using MBC4.1.x, "MB4.2 Prefs" for MBC4.2x, etc.)
If the data in this file becomes corrupted, unpredictable errors may occur.
This problem is rare after version 4.0.1f4 when a self-checking routine was introduced.
1. Quit MBC4
2. Locate the Prefs file. It will usually be found in the "Preferences" folder, inside the "Library" folder of your personal directory.
3. Remove the Prefs file from the Preferences folder. You may put it in the trash, or you might want to send it to us for further investigation.
4. Launch MBC4. Use the software as you would normally. Hopefully the fault will have been cured, but if it persists, contact us, describing the sequence of events leading to the crash or error message.
Note: When the Prefs file is removed MBC4 reverts to it's default settings. The barcode type will be EAN-13 or UPC-A and the Adjustment settings will have been reset to zero. It is most important that these settings are returned to their previous values.
Can't save files
Warning that barcode type is locked
Registration file not installed correctly
When MBC4 launches it looks for a registration file inside the same folder.
This file contains the serial number which confirms your licence to use the software.
If the file is not found, MBC4 launches as a demo copy (you can't save barcodes).
When you purchased MBC4, you would have been sent a registration file, either on CD or by email.
If you purchased MBC4.0.x, the file is called "MBC4 Registration".
If you purchased MBC4.1.x, the file is called "MBC41 Registration".
1. Quit MBC4.
2. Locate the registration file that was sent to you (as a file on the CD or as an email attachment).
3. Drag the registration file into the same folder as the MBC4 application. This will normally be the "MBC4" or "MBC41" folder inside your "Applications" folder.
- you may be warned that a file with the same name is already in the folder. That is most probably the "demo" registration that was created when MBC4 couldn't find a valid registration file*.
*demo registration files not used after MBC4.43
4. Restart MBC4. You should now be able to save barcodes. Go to the "Unlock/Upgrade" screen item in the "MBC4" menu to check your available barcodes.